Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Broccoli Cauliflower Salad



One of the favorite side dishes on the Grace Emmaus Walks (at least for the women) is the Broccoli Cauliflower Salad.  I made this for a recent cookout and thought I’d share it with you.   It’s not my recipe but we share it with everyone.  The ingredients are pictured here (note I forgot the cheddar cheese so it’s not in the picture).
 
 

To get started, I cut up half pound of bacon into small pieces and started to brown it in a pan.  While the bacon was frying, I cut up not quite all of the head of cauliflower, the broccoli shown and I diced the red onion putting them in my bowl to combine.  


 
 
Look over my oven.  I am not used to photographing as I’m cooking.  I’ll have to learn to clean up before taking the next picture next time!  Anyway, you get the idea.  Cut everything up into smaller pieces. 
Next, for the dressing - it’s really simple.  A quarter cup of sugar, a half a cup of mayonnaise and a tablespoon of vinegar. 




The trick to the dressing is that you should make it, pour it all into the mix with the bacon and stir it really well then leave the salad covered in the refrigerator for several hours allowing it to absorb the dressing. 

Now, because I forgot my cheese, when I took the salad out of the refrigerator the next day, I first poured the cheese in.  I took the easy way out because I was in a hurry to get to my cookout event and just bought the cheddar cheese shredded already.  The recipe calls for a cup of cheese but I don’t know anything that isn’t a little better with a little extra cheese so I put a little more.
But here’s the trick to the dressing - the salad is usually still a little dry.  So, I made a second round of the dressing and added it also, combining it about an hour before the event.  I have no idea why this picture seems so much lighter but, any way, here’s the final product.  I wish I had realized the picture was not so good so I could have taken another one because the bacon looks purple; but trust me, it was good.  Ha.  

Bacon Cauliflower Salad Recipe:

Salad

1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower
1 red onion
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
½ lb fried bacon

Dressing (I like to double this!) 

½ cup mayo
¼ cup sugar
1 tbs vinegar

Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite size pieces. Chop onion. Add bacon and dressing. Toss well. And put in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Prior to serving, toss again. Add more dressing if needed. Serves 10.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this blog encourage you? We would love to hear how!